Monday, June 29, 2015

Eye Opener

 Well I was having lunch the other day with a fellow associate. We were talking about all the crazy things that have happened since UCS merged with Reynolds.  We were just listing them out loud, and all sudden one of them caught my attention. I am not sure if some of you have heard this or not, but I could not believe it.  Reynolds has decided not to do business with SnapOn. Mainly in the way EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog). If you are unfamiliar with this, it is a pretty big deal for the dealers. Originally I worked with Bell & Howell who pretty much controlled the entire market. I ended up changing direction in Reynolds quite a few years ago. I found out just recently Bell & Howell was sold to SnapOn a few years ago. SnapOn has/had a contract with Reynolds to supply EPC for all the dealers. From what I understand it was a good deal for Reynolds, SnapOn, and the dealers. It integrated into the ERA system and worked great.  I found out Bobo decided to kill the contract between Reynolds and SnapOn. From what I understand the dealers are probably going to just leave Reynolds and go directly to SnapOn for all EPC. This leaves a huge void for Reynolds with EPC.  Since I don't work in the EPC area, I am assuming they are going to try and develop there own solution. Bobo creates everything in-house. The problem I see here is this takes many years to develop. By the time Reynolds gets a solution all the dealers will be contracted with SnapOn EPC.  I have one question (actually have many more, but only one I want to post). Why in the hell does Bobo think he can develop everything? Even Microsoft (world's largest software development company) has admitted they can not develop everything. That is why Microsoft created a partner program.

No comments:

Post a Comment