Monday, June 29, 2015

No Access


 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.  I know I have not had a lot of time to make postings or keep up on emails. I apologize to all those who sent emails with questions. I tried to reply to as many as I could, sorry if I did not reply.  This blog takes a lot of time and resources and sometimes I don't find the time in the day to work on it like I should.  I had quite a few emails from people wanting me to make a post about 3rd party access. I am going to tell everyone what I know about access to the ERA/Power system. I tried to find out as much information as I could, but some of it was through the rumor mill. (which may or may not be valid)  If you want access to the ERA system you need to become RCI. Yes I know it costs money, and if I could make it free I would. (Don't shoot the messenger). The whole reason of RCI is not for security, but more for money and control. Obviously the automotive market is struggling, so URey can obtain money not only from dealers, but 3rd party companies as well.  Here is what I have heard. There are several 3rd party companies that get around the question/answer by using a person at the dealership to answer the questions and the software will continue on. This way the 3rd party is not having to go through the RCI process, but yet can still function. I know this does not work in all situations, but I have heard of a few 3rd parties using this approach.  Yes URey has sent letters to every dealership telling them modem access will be discontinued. Another thing I have heard, is that a dealer can buy a PC with a modem and the 3rd party can dial into the PC. Somehow they can go from the PC to the ERA system still producing the same results as before. To be honest I did not quite understand it, but it may help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment